ETLA is a non-profit organisation, with about a third of its funding provided by the supporting organisations.
Core funding is channeled through a supporters’ association. The members of the association are:
- The Confederation of Finnish Industries
- The Confederation of Finnish Industry and Employers (TT) Foundation
- Federation of Finnish Commerce
- Finnish Forest Industries Federation
- Finance Finland
- Technology Industries of Finland
The funding from the background organisations covers shy of a third of the institute’s budget and forms a solid base for its operations.
The rest of funding comes from research projects funded by public agencies (the Academy of Finland, Business Finland, the Finnish Work Environment Fund), various ministries (the Ministry of Employment and the Economy, the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health), The Nordic Council of Ministers and the European Union and private foundations. The grant for advancement of science allocated by the Ministry of Education and Culture covers roughly 5 per cent of the budget.